Insect Bite Treatment

Insect and spider bites are a common nuisance.  Ordinarily, a bite causes only minor discomfort – a little redness, and some pain or itching.  Often, home treatment or a first aid kit is all that is needed to treat it.  However, some people can experience a severe allergic reaction to bites, which may be life threatening.

Certain spiders such as the black widow spider, brown recluse spider, hobo spider, scorpion and puss caterpillar, as well as other insects, can cause a toxic reaction from a bite.  The symptoms listed below represent a serious allergic reaction to bug and spider bites.  Although they are not common, it is important to be aware of the possible effect once bitten, since anaphylactic shock is possible from certain bites.

Symptoms

  • Difficulty breathing
  • Swelling of lips, tongue, ears, eyelids, hands and feet
  • Disorientation and confusion
  • Nausea
  • Diarrhea
  • Hives
  • Reddening of the area around the bite (only if it grows and expands over 10 inches)

In most cases, a spider, insect or bug bite does not cause such a reaction.  However, a person with no prior allergic incidents can still suffer from an allergic reaction.  If you or a loved one experience the symptoms of anaphylactic shock, it is important to call an emergency line for help.  If symptoms are minimal, i.e. the area of the bite is red, itchy and/or slightly swollen, doctors recommend an antihistamine and ice to cool the area.  To find out more about dangerous spiders, other insect bites and their effects, please take a look at the websites we have provided for your further research.

Treatment for insect bites is available now at Newport Urgent Care in Newport Beach, CA.

For more information on insect bites, see the following websites:

MedlinePlus with Pictures of Possible Biting Culprits and Further Information

WebMD on Poisonous and Dangerous Spiders

AllRefer Health on Effects of bites


Disclaimer: The links above are to sites independent of NewportUrgentCare.com.  The pages will open in a new browser window.  The information provided is for educational purposes only, and is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.  If you have or suspect you may have a health problem, you should consult your doctor.  Always follow your doctor’s recommendations regarding your specific medical questions, treatments, therapies, and other needs.